Monday 11 April 2011

Specsavers. Saves you time, saves you money

A while ago a workmate was complaining about her visit to a well-known chain of opticians. It seems -though they unhelpfully forgot to mention this to her when she paid up front for her spectacles, they no longer offered  the one hour service that they boast about in their adverts.

In point of fact in the end it took them the best part of two weeks to have her glasses made. And even then, somehow,  they had managed to fit the lenses the wrong way round!

I looked at her and said: "How much did that lost cost you?" When she told me I said: "You should have gone to Specsavers! Like I did!"

She was shocked that my really very funky and high quality designer frames were from Specsavers. But they were. She was also somewhat put out by the price I paid. Only a fraction of what she had paid for, in my opinion, an inferior service.

My trip to Specsavers in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, was an eye-opener. (Sorry!) But it really was. The eye-test was one of the most thorough I have had in many years and the staff and the optician clearly all knew their jobs inside out. The optician was  professional and very careful in what he did. I knew my eyes were in good, capable hands.
 
They also provide a free text service when the day before your appointment telling you the date and time of your appointment. Very handy, especially as I had got the right day but the wrong time firmly fixed in my head!

The employee who helped me with the frames was also very good. She was able to point out that I was able to get a pair of sunglasses included in the price. And that included some rather snazzy Animal frames that I liked the look of!

The glasses were ready for collection in a little over a week and the fitting service was excellent.
All the way through the process I knew exactly what price I would be paying as it is always in front of you. Literally speaking, that is. Specsavers make a point of ensuring there's no room for doubt. No room for sudden price rises after the deal is done. Specsavers (unlike some opticians) don't work that way. You will always know the price you are to pay. And it is substantially less than other large opticians.

Prices can vary from budget options for about £30, Two for one offers from £69. If you want to go for designer frames, they start at £99. Varifocal lenses do not cost extra. They also offer contact lenses and some have hearing aid centres attached, too.

1 comment: