Monday 10 December 2012

What can a diabetic eat?

What can a diabetic eat? Well, pretty much what they like, so long as they do it in moderation.

A well-meaning acquaintance seems surprised at what I eat. I pointed out to him that the diabetes nurse at my health practice had told me that, generally speaking, a diabetic can eat any type of food they want, but must be careful as to the quantity.

She had also pointed out the dangers of consuming too much carbohydrates at the same time. She pointed out that if you had Spaghetti and a sauce that you would be advised not to have garlic bread at the same time.

She said that a glass of beer or wine with a meal should be OK too. But that drinking to excess would not be a good idea for a diabetic.

Another point that she made I found interesting. She advised that the sugar replacement fructose should never be used by diabetics and that it would be advisable to stop eating fruit. She advised that if you wish to continue with the 5 a day fruit and vegetable ideal, just eat extra vegetables.

As for sugar in coffee and tea? That is now a thing of the past. The fact that I can now no longer enjoy the rich and satisfying taste of brown sugar in my coffee (or can no longer enjoy myself at real ale festivals) is a source of disappointment to me, but it is a price that has to be paid to ensure my long term good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment