In connection with World Kidney Day the James Whale Fund for Kidney Cancer announces the Patient Benefit Grant and Patient Lottery
Ahead of World Kidney Day on Thursday 8 March, the UK’s leading specialist kidney cancer charity, The James Whale Fund for Kidney Cancer (‘JWF’), is delighted to reveal its new scheme; The Patient Benefit Grant. In order to assist the grant and help those diagnosed with kidney cancer, the Charity is announcing the launch of a patient lottery, The Whalottery.
About the Patient Grant
The Patient Benefit Grant aims to help those suffering from or recovering from Kidney Cancer ease their financial strain and maintain access to things that can add to or maintain their quality of life. For example, if a patient requires continued access to television or broadband and their condition is making this challenging financially, they can apply to JWF for the Patient Grant. JWF will accept applications from those recovering from Kidney cancer for up to £1,000 per annum.
To help assist in the funding of the Patient Benefit Grant the JWF has set up the Whalottery. Tickets are £1 each per week; participants pay for one ticket monthly, quarterly or yearly by cash, cheque or standing order. One winning number will be drawn on the last Friday of every month and the winner will receive a cash prize in proportion to the number of entries. 40% of the money collected weekly will be given back in the cash prize and the remaining 60% will go to the charity.
On World Kidney Day the Charity is launching the Whalottery with the first draw taking place on the last Friday in April. Those interested in participating in the first draw can register at www.kidneycancerlottery.org.
Broadcaster James Whale, founder and Chairman of the James Whale Fund and a kidney cancer survivor, said: “We hope many Kidney Cancer patients will directly benefit from this new initiative of the Fund and look forward to our lottery launch being well supported. The aim of the lottery is to have the chance to give something back to those that are generous enough to donate.“
The James Whale Fund for Kidney Cancer is the UK’s leading specialist kidney cancer charity and was set up in 2006 by broadcaster James Whale who lost a kidney to cancer. Today James is fortunate to lead a full and busy life. Every year almost 7,000 people in the UK learn that they have kidney cancer; that’s over 16 people a day. And yet the condition – the eighth most common cancer among men – rarely attracts much public attention. The mission at the James Whale Fund is to try and change that.
For more information about James Whale Fund for Kidney Cancer, please visit www.jameswhalefund.org